Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Reflections from 2011-12 North Carolina Teacher of the Year

I can still hear my son whispering in my ear, “Mom, I am so proud of you” just before the North Carolina Teacher of the Year banquet began. I was sitting at the table clutching my index card with a few lines carefully crafted, hoping to be “The One.” My school system representatives and my family were sitting anxiously awaiting the announcement and then Dr. Atkinson called my name. I never cried because I knew this award was won by my students and not because of anything great I had done. I also knew all the regional winners could have stood on the stage where I was standing and represented the profession as well, if not better, than I could. I was honored and humbled.
   As I began my term as the North Carolina Teacher of the Year, I was quickly confronted with the perception that public education was broken.  But as Dr. Atkinson has stated on more than one occasion, while there is a need for remodeling, reform, and changes there also are pockets of excellence that exist across this great state. I have had the opportunity to witness firsthand the hard work of teachers and their relentless dedication to this profession and to their students. I have felt the despair and desperation as the budget to support education continues to decrease and the demands on teachers seem to increase. Even with these pressures, teachers still manage to create engaging lessons and educational opportunities for their students. Several districts have used creative forward thinking to provide students with opportunity and secure resources that ensure every child receives a quality education. I say thank you to the warriors that are on the front line and have been forced to stretch themselves far too thin to educate the children in North Carolina.
   Most of the speaking requests I have received have been quite simple: motivate my staff, inspire my teachers and remind them of their purpose. Each time I took the stage, I attempted to evoke the passion and emotion needed to stay the course. It was always refreshing to hear educators respond with their personal stories about their students and the various reasons why they teach. Many of them thanked me for the words of encouragement, but I gained more passion and purpose from their strength.  For so many students, teachers are all they have, and they count on us to be there.  They need us because we have their opportunity for success.  This year has made me proud to be a part of this profession, and I am assured that teachers make a difference.  I am often reminded of the question Dr. Bill Harrison asks at the end of every State Board of Education meeting, ”What have you done for children today?”
   I would like to say thank you to the staff and students at Graham Middle School, where the school motto is “Educating Everyone Takes Everyone.”  I would also like to express my gratitude to the Alamance-Burlington Schools System, Mr. Brandon Patterson and the North Carolina Department of Public Instruction as well as the North Carolina State Board of Education.  As Sue Enquist eloquently stated, “Anything that is worthy of your passion is worthy of your preparation.” Educators make a difference, so use your passion and preparation to keep inspiring greatness in our students. –Tyronna Hooker, 2011-12 North Carolina Teacher of the Year

No comments:

Post a Comment