Sunday, January 29, 2012

The Next Step

I will begin this post by admitting I am little disappointed. The National Finalist was announced for the 2012 National Teacher of The Year on January 17, 2012 and North Carolina did not make the final four. I wasn’t sure how to tell this to the community that supported me and believed in me for this past year. After sending the first ten emails it got better. As responses began to fill my email each one reminded me of my purpose and duty whether a finalist or not. One email simply stated “Okay, so now continue your job and make a difference for the teachers of this great state.”  I gathered my thoughts, reflected on the year and began to plan the next phase of my journey.
On Monday Jan23, I spoke at ECU to the Teaching Fellows and in the process of meeting and greeting students one young lady with tears in her eyes thanked me for my words of inspiration and motivation. She needed the encouragement to stay in school. She shared that it has been a struggle to work and maintain all of her coursework. She told me that she now had a voice to listen to when times get hard. My voice, what a sobering thought that something I said could change a life’s course. That is the power of being a teacher, words make or break students daily.  Remember to speak life affirming messages.

No comments:

Post a Comment